Swimming is a form of exercise or activity that instigates one through the water. The limbs are used in this type of exercise. Swimming is one of the best Workouts if you want to start strength training. Swimming gives a complete body workout. Swimming stimulates the heart rate. That is why swimming is of benefit to people suffering from Arthritis. One needs a pivot to hold the body inside the water to shoulders to the ankle.
Squats also help to build strength around the ankles for each stroke. Most people don’t get used to the water. They are afraid that they might drown.
Warming up before swimming or any exercise is very important. Freestyle warming up every 2-5 minutes is the ultimate before starting the swimming exercise. A warm-up helps ease the muscles before a workout.
Benefits of swimming exercise
- Swimming is a low impact: Unlike other forms of exercise like jogging, swimming is the best for now. It does not put stress on the bones and muscles. It is for all ages and body types. It takes care of all parts of the human body and helps one stay alive longer.
- Water calms the body: Water has always been coherent and full of purity. One can even meditate near water in that it calms the brain. In African descent, most people still go to the water to sacrifice. They think that the deity inside the water will answer their prayers. Swimming in water is good for health as it improves mental and physical well-being.
- Water (the strength builder): Through swimming, water maintains the muscles and improves balance.
Below are some exercises for people who are not used to the water.
Getting used to water exercises
Measuring with yards to enable an individual to get used to the water.
- 8×25 yards preference freestyle and backstroke with 15 seconds rest between laps.
- 8×25 yards flutter kick with 10 seconds rest
- 30 minutes rest
The above exercises should be for freestyle, sprint kicks, and backstroke.
Beginners swimming exercise
Most beginners have issues covering long distances. That is why this is good for intermediates. It is almost the same as getting used to water exercises. The number of yards reduces. In this case, yards are also used in measuring each lapse covered.
The following exercises below are for beginners Workouts.
- 4×25 yards freestyle ( 10 seconds rest between laps)
- 8×50 yards fast kick ( 15 seconds rest between laps)
Observe one-minute rest may after every 2 lapses to ease the joints.
Beginners need a guide to enable them to study for each swimming exercise.
Beginners guide to swimming
- a) 25 yards freestyle followed by a 40 seconds rest.
- b) 2×25 yards for both kicking and freestyle with ( 20 seconds and 30 seconds) rest between laps. The kicking and freestyle laps are separate practices.
There are hard, medium and easy freestyles. A beginner should finish each one after the other with a chosen second rest.
After completing the yards above, he or she can increase the number of yards. 50 yards shoulder press and 40 seconds Squat could make do. Each with some minutes rests to ease breathing.
Some general swimming lessons are:
Strike board kicks: This form of swimming lessons is often used for beginners. As the arm stretches, you hold a strike board or kickboard in front of you as you kick your feet. Continue swimming with your spine away from the bottom of the pool. Also, cover the length of the pool for as long as you are not tired.
Pikes: A pike is a form of swimming in which one swims at the surface of the water. The waist is always bent. The back points straight down into the water. By pushing the hands backward, you stay afloat using your arms. Most beginners find it hard holding unto this position.
Flutter kick: This exercise works the hip muscles. By holding onto the edge of the pool, keep your upper body afloat. Your legs must not touch the bottom of the water. While kicking, keep your legs straight as you point with your toes.
Dolphin kick: This is a swimming exercise that looks like butterfly movements. The leg pushes backward and moves with a slight upward movement. As the arms outstretched in front of you, you can hold a kickboard. Propel yourself forward and push your chest. You can repeat the exercise as you cover the length of the pool. You may stop when you feel signs of fatigue, because you may not be able to continue the exercise.
Squat jumps: One may not know that squat jump is also a form of swimming exercise. It is good for shallow waters. With the hands over the head, this is achievable. This is a butt water exercise that works.
High intense laps: This is a training style that you can train on your own as you are working out. This swimming exercise is very efficient and effective.
Jumpouts: This is a fun aspect of a swimming workout. This allows a swimmer to lean forward. An early jump out does not allow one to get the right starting position. This applies to swimmers who take swimming as a profession.
Water jogging: This is otherwise called water running. It is very effective for runners as it offers an excellent form of cardiovascular training. It helps lower blood pressure and fights obesity.
Swimming is a great form of exercise. It can tone the stomach and strengthen the joints. If you feel tired, you can take a break to relax. Swimming is not for the Olympics only, it is for everybody.
Swimming truly is the ultate exercise. Even when it’s summer they tell you to stop going to the gym if you are going to the beach.